x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

£23,000 fine and costs after property "risked tenants' lives"

The landlord of a property in Plymouth risked the lives of his tenants through a dangerous gas boiler installed in the flat.

Abdul Manik was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive when Plymouth city council alerted it to the lack of a gas safety certificates for a number of flats at the property in the city.

The council had asked him to provide certificates on at least seven separate occasions.

HSE served an Improvement Notice on Manik, requiring him to undertake landlords’ gas safety check and maintenance but this had not been done by the notice expiry date.

In December 2014 a gas engineer called in by one of the tenants at the flats found serious problems with the gas boiler at the flat and notified HSE. The gas boiler was classified by the Gas Safe registered engineer as ‘immediately dangerous’, meaning if operated or left connected to the gas supply it could cause an immediate danger to life or property. 

The boiler was replaced by the council after Manik failed to undertake the necessary repairs.

Now he has pleaded guilty to breaches of Regulations 36(2) and 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and Section 33(g) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was fined a total of £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,817.

  • icon

    Was there an EPC there? Probably not as this would have meant spending more money!

  • Matthew Butler

    If the landlord failed to produce gas safety certificates after numerous requests, I doubt he would have bothered with an EPC Paul! This landlord takes cutting corners and being tight to new levels!

  • icon

    That's unbelievable! Negligence that could cause people's lives.
    Pippa, Bournemouth

icon

Please login to comment

valpal
submit
sign up