By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Another day, another landlord fined for endangering tenants

The landlord of a property in Plymouth risked the lives of his tenants through a dangerous gas boiler installed in the flat.

Abdul Manik has now been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive. 

HSE began inquiries when Plymouth council alerted them to the lack of a gas safety certificates for a number of flats at a property owned by Manik. The council had asked him to provide certificates on at least seven separate occasions.


HSE served an Improvement Notice on Manik, requiring him to undertake landlords’ gas safety check and maintenance but this had not been done by the notice expiry date.

In December 2014, a gas engineer called in by one of the tenants at the flats found serious problems with the gas boiler at the flat and notified HSE. The gas boiler was classified by the Gas Safe registered engineer as ‘immediately dangerous’, meaning if operated or left connected to the gas supply it could cause an immediate danger to life or property. 

The boiler was replaced by Plymouth council after the landlord failed to undertake the necessary repairs.

Now Manik has pleaded guilty to breaches of Regulations 36(2) and 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and Section 33(g) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was fined £11,000 and costs of £880.


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up