A council has prosecuted a landlord, who was fined £600 plus £500 in council costs after pleading guilty to breaching building regulation rules over a log burner.
The prosecution was brought against David Jempson of Longwell Green in Gloucestershire after he was found to have an unsafe log burner installed in a home to let.
In January this year officers from the local council’s building control team were made aware of an unsafe log burner - the tenants of the property had reported the installation as being unsafe and were concerned for their safety.
The investigation revealed that they were a total of six breaches of building regulations including no carbon dioxide detector, insufficient air supply and an unsafe flue connection.
The case was heard at North Avon Magistrates’ Court where Jempson pleaded guilty to failing to comply with building regulations. The judge him £600 - that was £100 per offence - and awarded costs to the council of £500.
“Many people are installing wood burners and may not realise that they need building regulations approval. It’s important to contact your local authority to check if your installation requires building regulation permission” says a council spokesman.