A pair of landlords have been slapped with a hefty fine for allowing people to live in damp-riddled rooms without fire detectors.
Haleem Bhatti and Ibrahim Ali were caught after Hounslow council officers visited a flat above a shop in September last year.
It appeared the joint property owners had allowed 10 people to live in squalid conditions, sharing depleted kitchens and bathrooms in a flat riddled with damp. The neglected property was also found to be missing fire detectors and had a faulty fire alarm and damaged fire doors, posing a danger to the tenants living there.
The pair were fined almost £11,000 for the poor housing conditions and for running an unlicensed house in multiple occupation.
Ali, from Hounslow, pleaded guilty to five offences relating to poor management of the property and operating an HMO without a licence. He was fined £3,140 plus £3,776 costs.
Bhatti, also of Hounslow pleaded guilty to failing to licence an HMO at the same court on July 25, and was fined £1,585 plus £2,000 costs.