STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

ValPal
Tiny fine after 'potentially dangerous' buy to let property suffers fire

A private landlord in Saffron Walden has been fined for letting what the local council describes as “poor and potentially dangerous housing.”

Sarah Anne Henson pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Magistrates Court to offences relating to matters of fire safety as well as general disrepair under the Housing Act 2004 and The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006.

The case was brought against Henson by Uttlesford council following a fire which broke out at her property on September 7 last year. No person was injured in the fire at the property, which was rented by several tenants, but a cat died.

Henson was fined £286 by the magistrates, and ordered to pay costs of £820 to the council.

A council officer said after the court case: "This highlights the need for all landlords to be aware of their legal duties and responsibilities towards the management of their properties. It also sends out a strong message that the council will not tolerate landlords who let dangerous and poor accommodation for residents, and that we will take action when it is appropriate to do so.”

imgcollapse
sign up