STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

MPL
Bill of £17,500 for failing to maintain gas appliance at rental property

A landlord has been fined over £15,000 after failing to maintain gas appliances at the domestic property in Haverfordwest.

Llanelli Magistrates’ Court heard how the property owned by Gous Ahmed was visited by the Pembrokeshire council officers in late 2014. 

In February 2015 the same premises was visited by British Gas and it was deemed that both the fire and boiler were “immediately dangerous” and put the resident at risk of harm.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found the landlord failed to obtain a Landlord Gas Safety Record over a period of time. 

He continued to do so despite several letters and improvement enforcement action by HSE and it was later found Ahmed only obtained a LGSR once being cautioned and invited for interview.

Ahmed, of Haverfordwest pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36 (1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and has been fined £15,290 and ordered to pay costs of £2,500.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Simon Breen said: “Mr Ahmed put the residents and other members of the public at risk of harm by failing to maintain gas appliances in the domestic property. Landlords and duty holder must ensure they obtain a Landlord Gas Safety Record and they maintain all gas appliances in accordance with the law.”

  • icon

    Here's a question I've wondered about for a long time; why do we have to provide an annual gas certificate for tenants (which I agree with) and yet we can sell a property to someone that hasn't had a safety check in years and years? The media has made such a fuss over the Grenfell disaster (quite rightly) and yet people are dying regularly through carbon monoxide poisoning due to faulty gas appliances. Is this just me??

icon

Please login to comment

imgcollapse
sign up