x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

New warning to agents to fit and check carbon monoxide alarms

A warning has gone out to the lettings sector to check that rental properties are ‘Gas Safe’ as the colder weather approaches, and as part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month which runs throughout November.

Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect as it’s odourless, colourless and tasteless.  

Now Mark Ronald, lead engineer at Hometree, says all properties should be checked.

“Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect but can be deadly where there is a general lack of knowledge about the danger and damage it can cause. One in six homes has a dangerous gas appliance with studies suggesting it causes at least 25 deaths every year in England and Wales” explains Ronald.  

“The sudden cold means many households are turning their heating on having not used it through the summer which can mean families are at risk from a faulty boiler or inadequate ventilation. This is why it’s so important to check your boiler and, if you’re concerned, speak or organise a video call with a certified gas safe engineer” he continues.

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015 say private sector landlords are required to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and carbon monoxide alarms in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance. 

The landlord or letting agent representative must also make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

A review of health and safety in the private rental sector, announced by the government last month, will include an assessment of carbon monoxide alarms.

“The review will judge whether legislation goes far enough in keeping people safe from the risks of carbon monoxide in their homes, and whether there should be a blanket requirement to install alarms for other methods of heating, including gas and oil, and to social housing” says a statement from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.

icon

Please login to comment

valpal
submit
sign up