A trade body says it has been assured by the government that there will be no premature announcement introducing longer tenancies - contrary to a report in The Sun recently which hinted that a decision would be made within days.
The Conservative-supporting Sun suggested a decision had already been reached by the government and was to be revealed even before the end of the formal consultation on the move - that deadline was last Sunday, August 26.
This speculation in turn prompted the Residential Landlords Association to warn the government not to announce any decision on longer term tenancies until the consultation process has closed and it has considered all responses.
However, the RLA now says it has been told by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government that no such announcement had been planned and that all responses will be taken into account before a decision is made.
In an official response to an enquiry made by the RLA, the MHCLG said ministers would consider responses ahead of announcing next steps.
No date has been set for an announcement.