By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Meagre £265 fine after faulty gas appliance found at rental property

A landlord has been fined a meagre £265 after a defective gas appliance was found to be in operation at his premises.

Ashby Bedeau let out a property in Bedford. In February this year his tenants felt unwell and contacted the gas helpline.

An engineer arrived and stopped the property’s gas supply as carbon monoxide was found to be present. He advised the tenants to go to hospital. 


Subsequently it was found the gas hob was defective and British Gas capped off the hob as immediately dangerous.

The Health and Safety Executive, which brought a case against Bedeau, told Luton Magistrates’ Court that the gas hob, gas cooker and boiler were under contract from a gas provider. 

However, the landlord had not had the hob gas safety checked in January 2015, as required by law.

HSE told the court that landlords must ensure all gas appliances are not only checked for safety, but maintained in a safe condition.

Bedeau, from Bedford, admitted breaching Regulation 36(2)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined £265 with costs of £845.

  • icon

    More detail please. What was wrong with the gas appliance? What make was it? Who was the gas provider? Did they programme a check as part of their contract or were both parties saying they thought the other party was going to do it? Checking appliances is never a way to prevent faults. A check can only find a fault and perhaps indicate an increased risk of one occurring.


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up