A council is offering free training to letting agents, via online courses starting next Monday.
Dorset council says it wants to work more closely with landlords and agents, and the modules of the training are covering:
- Housing standards, including the housing health and safety rating system and how hazards are identified;
- Changes in housing law, including Fitness for Human Habitation, electrical inspections, Energy Performance Certificates and Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards;
- Fire safety, including factors to consider in both single-family homes and HMOs;
- HMOs, including definitions, licensing, roles and responsibilities;
- HMO standards, including room sizes and amenities – how are they measured, the management regulations and their implications.
Graham Carr-Jones, lead councillor on housing and himself a landlord - says: “The past 15 months have been challenging, not least because of Covid and the new legislation introduced for landlords … I would urge everyone interested in learning about how to operate as a responsible landlord or letting agent in Dorset to sign up and book their virtual place.”