A landlord has been hit with a total fine of almost £40,000 for breaching House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) management regulations.
David Greene, 64, was prosecuted at Birmingham Magistrates Court on August 30 for letting a property which council officers described as the 'worst they had seen in the last 10 years'.
The landlord has owned the three-storey property, which includes ten self-contained flats, since 1986 and pleaded guilty to breaching HMO regulations.
When visiting the building, Birmingham City Council officers found smoke detectors hanging off the ceiling, ill-fitting fire doors and blocked fire exits.
There were also broken and boarded up windows and tenants had no access to hot water or heating. Meanwhile, the front and rear doors were insecure, leaving the property open to the elements.
The council said that it had previously contacted Greene on several occasions to resolve the poor conditions but he neglected his responsibilities and put the lives of vulnerable tenants in danger.
The landlord maintained he had issues gaining access to the flats but he was nonetheless hit with a fine of £35,000, costs of £1,941 and a victim surcharge of £170.
"Mr Greene has shown a callous disregard for his responsibilities as a landlord," said Councillor Sharon Thompson, cabinet member for homes and neighbourhoods at Birmingham City Council.
"This fine sends out a message to all landlords who ignore the law that Birmingham City Council will pursue anyone who lets out substandard accommodation."