STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

ValPal
Landlords fined for fire safety failings, mould and dangerous wiring

Two landlords have been fined almost £14,000 for breaching a multitude of property management regulations.

Abdul Qadir, 56, and Dr Mohammed Anwar, 49, both pleaded guilty to breaching management regulations at Birmingham Magistrates' Court last week.

The charges related to the management of a three-storey rental property in south east Birmingham.

Council officers visited the property last October following a complaint from a tenant.

Visitors found a range of health and safety failings, including:

- No working fire detection 

- Many doors were not fire doors

- No fire blanket in the kitchen

- Bare and exposed wires

- Trailing wires and extension cables

- A broken central heating system and inaccessible boiler

- Trailing electrics

- Peeling décor and mould growth

- Broken kitchen cupboards and units

- Loose electrical sockets and light switches

- Hole in the kitchen floor- Poorly wired and dangerous light fittings

Abdul Qadir was fined £5,000 with £1,550 costs and a victim surcharge of £170. Dr Mohammed Anwar was fined £5,000 with £1,497 costs and a victim surcharge of £170.

The total fine amounted to £13,387.

“Qadir and Anwar displayed a total disregard for the health and safety of the occupants and the property was in a poor condition with inadequate fire precautions," said Birmingham City Council’s director of housing, Robert James.

"I am glad that we have been able to bring this landlord to justice through our specialist work on rogue landlords.”

imgcollapse
sign up