Rents in the UK rose by an average of 2.4 per cent in the year to the end of January according to HomeLet.
The average monthly UK rent now stands at £909 a month
In London, rents increased by 2.3 per cent in the year to the end of January; the average monthly rent in the capital now stands at £1,532.
Rents rose in 11 of the 12 UK regions covered by the HomeLet index.
Average rents by region are:
- South West: £817 (up 3.4% in the year to the end of January);
- South East: £995 (up 0.6%)
- Greater London: £1,532 (up 2.3%)
- East of England: £906 (up 1.5%)
- East Midlands: £617 (up 6.0%)
- Yorkshire and Humberside: £623 (up 1.5%)
- North West: £683 (up 1.2%)
- West Midlands: £674 (up 2.6%)
- Scotland: £625 (up 3.1%)
- Northern Ireland: £624 (up 3.7%)
- Wales: £603 (down 0.3%)