By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Awaab Tragedy - Damp awareness course for agents

Following the recent inquest into the tragic death of two-year old Awaab Ishak in Rochdale, agents are being offered free awareness training on the effects of damp and mould issues in properties.

The inquest concluded with the coroner determining that Awaab lost his life “because of prolonged exposure to mould and damp” despite his father having highlighted the poor property standards to Rochdale Borough Housing Association; advice from the housing association was to air the flat to eradicate the damp and mould. 

The coroner has described the case as a “defining moment” for the housing sector.


The virtual awareness seminar is being organised for all property professionals north of the border by the Scottish Housing Associations Resources for Education - it’s open to private sector organisations as well as social housing sector groups. 

Daryl McIntosh, chief executive of SHARE, says: “The tragedy of a toddler dying due to damp and mould issues is beyond comprehension. Those providing homes or managing properties have a level of responsibility to ensure properties are maintained to a safe standard and they understand the risk when standards are not met. 

“As a charitable enterprise supporting the housing sector, I am delighted SHARE can offer this training to guide housing staff on best practice, allowing them to advise tenants accordingly whilst demonstrating that they have their health and safety at heart.” 

The virtual course will run on December 9 from 10am to 11.30am and you can register HERE


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up