By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Failure to provide gas certificate leads to community service and hefty fine

A private landlord has been prosecuted after failing to provide gas safety certificates for two rented properties. 

Harrogate Magistrates’ Court heard that following a complaint from a tenant, an Improvement Notice was issued to landlord Dean Taylor by the Health and Safety Executive for non-provision of a gas safety certificate for the gas appliances in his property. 

Taylor did not comply with that notice and during the investigation another of his properties was found to also not have a gas safety certificate. 

Taylor, from Harrogate, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 33 (1) (g) of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, also Section 36(3) and Section 36(6) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations. 

He was given 240 hours of community service and instructed to pay full HSE costs of £2767 by Harrogate Magistrates’ Court.

“If you rent property out, you must comply with requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, including the need to have a gas safety certificate. Gas appliances should be regularly checked, as faulty appliances can kill” says HSE inspector Julian Franklin.


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up