A London landlord has been given an eight week suspended prison sentence after failing to have a gas boiler in a rental property checked by a suitably-qualified engineer.
Duran Akbulut of Kenton in London has received the sentence after magistrates heard he did not obtain the necessary safety certificate from the Gas Safe Register.
The boiler was in a property that was being let out to a tenant who raised concerns about a carbon monoxide leak; as a result the National Grid switched off the gas supply.
The tenant made a complaint to the Health and Safety Executive, which brought the action against the landlord.
Akbulut has pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and has given an eight week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.
He has also been ordered to pay £80 victim surcharge and contribute £300 in costs to the HSE.