Unsafe gas appliances have been found in 21 per cent of privately-rented flats and houses according to Gas Safe Register.
Investigation data spanning five years, analysed by Gas Safe Register, reveals that gas heaters are the most dangerous appliance in rented accommodation, accounting for 59 per cent of all unsafe appliances.
The data also shows that 19 per cent are unaware that their boiler should be safety checked annually, and half of this group don’t think their boiler has been inspected this year.
Despite agents and landlords being responsible for ensuring that all gas appliances provided by them are safety checked every year by a qualified registered engineer, some 37 per cent are unaware of their duty of care, Gas Safe claims. One in seven landlords believe gas appliance safety is the responsibility of their local council.
“The findings from the 122,000 inspections carried out by our team over the last five years show us that more unsafe appliances have been found in rented accommodation than in privately owned homes” claims Jonathan Samuel, Gas Safe Register managing director.