By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Council wants private landlords to allow rough sleepers in homes

A new service called Cornwall Housing Private Lets has been set up in the west country to try to lure private landlords.

Under a so-called ‘arms length’ arrangement with Cornwall Council, the scheme says it wants to “build partnerships with landlords” to encourage them to allow their properties to be used by rough sleepers, former rough sleepers and those at risk of rough sleeping. 

“This is a unique offer to any private landlord and will help to fulfil our duty to help homeless people and to prevent homelessness in Cornwall. Both tenants and landlords will benefit from having access to our tenancy sustainment support. Whether you are a seasoned landlord or new to the sector our Private Lets team will tailor the tenancy to suit each opportunity” says a spokesman. 


He adds that the service will have no upfront costs and the free tenant finder service for self-managing landlords.

The service to private landlords will consist of property checks, tenant checks, handling housing benefit issues with the tenant, providing a tenancy agreement and legal checks on the property, and informing tax authorities.

The scheme already has 200 privately owned homes to let which it manages, in addition to Cornwall’s existing social housing stock of over 10,500 properties and 300 leaseholds.

It says homes of all sizes are needed in Falmouth/Penryn, Penzance, Truro, Newquay, Camborne, Redruth, St Austell, Bodmin, Liskeard and surrounding areas.

  • icon

    Doesn’t sound like they’re offering much of an incentive. At all.

  • icon
    • 11 February 2020 11:25 AM

    They (The Council) are joking of course?
    I'd love to know which planet these Council members live on!!!!!!!!
    I refuse to go anywhere near homeless.

  • icon

    I own a house in Penzance that is rented out.
    Would I let Cornwall Council or their agents put homeless tenants in there?
    Hell would freeze over first!

  • Kat Scott

    There not mention of any security for damages. The place is less likely to be looked after and no one with funds to claim from when you get the tenants out. Anti social behaviour is like to be high. Tenancy is also likely to be more damaging of your time.
    I would rather pay an agent to fine a suitable professional tenant who is accountable for any damages etc.

  • icon

    Maybe the Council should guarantee the tenant and not via a bond scheme but as a Proper Guarantor. Then they can deal with the issues or pay for them in entirety. In Manchester many years ago they actually took the tenancy and were fully liable with the tenancy allowing them to sublet they also were obliged to carry out repairs etc and hand it back decorated and in good order. It worked well. I let 3 properties to them for a fixed 5 years. Admittedly on LHA rates but I had no repairs! That’s the only way it could ever work. Otherwise pay triple and more fo B&B type accommodation for them!

  • Bryan Shields

    The PRS was never able to provide for this sort of client, no offence to them of course. It's just a different market altogther.

  • PossessionFriendUK PossessionFriend

    Council need to buy some housing stock ! ( appropriately situated to prevent ASB nuisance to neighbours from this type of clientele - no offence, just being a realist )


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up